Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is like biscuit mix in the box from the store. Very easy to make and easy to use.
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups powdered milk (non-fat dry milk)
- 1⁄4 cup baking powder
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening
To Make Biscuits
- 2 cups biscuit mix
- 1⁄3-1⁄2 cup water
- Stir all the dry ingredients together until thoroughly mixed.
- Cut the shortening in till well mixed.
- Store in freezer in a plastic bag for several months, or may store in cannister or jar on counter top for up to a month.
- When ready to use-- add water and biscuit mix, using enough of the water to make a soft but NOT sticky dough.
- Turn out on a floured towel or cabinet surface.
- Roll out about 3/4-inch thick.
- Cut with glass or biscuit cutter.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes at 450°.
- This will make about a dozen 2-inch biscuits.
Thankyou so much forthis recipe! So many recipeson Zaar call for Bisquik, and we don't have that in Australia. I used your recipe as a substitute tonight, and it worked perfectly! I'm going to buy some buttermilk tomorrow, to try the mix as actual biscuits! ********************************************* UPDATE: I wish I could give this another 5 stars! I just used the remaining mix to actually make the biscuits, and they are amazing! This is only the second time I have made biscuits, but this recipe is unbeatable! I used the mix I made 1 month ago. I had it stored in the fridge, and it has kept just fine. I had to microwave it for 15 seconds to soften the shortening (I used copha) and then I mixed in 1/2 cup of buttermilk. Perfect biscuits!
Of all the biscut mix recipes here, this was one of the simplest. I used this to substitute for Bisquick in a cornbread recipe (#83483), & the results were spectacular. I seldom use Bisquick so I am thrilled to have a fast & easy substitute. I halved the recipe, but still have enough left to make the biscuits. Thanks Darlene!
This was fantastic! I made this up last night, but I used butter instead of shortening (what I had). My family raved about these and requested more tonight!