1/1 Photo of Homemade Baked Ziti
1 hr 30 mins
Matt Dunn's Note:
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 lb port sausage, ground
- 1 large onion, sliced and diced
- 1 green pepper, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and pressed
- 1 pint mushroom, sliced
- 2 (6 ounce) cans tomato paste
- 2 (12 ounce) cans tomato sauce
- italian seasoning
- 2 bay leaves
- fresh parmesan cheese, grated
- black pepper, ground
- soy sauce
- chili flakes
- 1 (16 ounce) box ziti pasta
- 1 (8 ounce) package mozzarella cheese, sliced or 8 ounces grated mozzarella cheese
- canola oil
- 1Preheat oven to 350°F
- 2To make the sauce: First, brown the ground beef and Port. Sausage in separate frying pans over medium heat. Make sure the beef is in a large frying pan, and drain the fat. When the sausage is done, pat it dry with paper towels to remove the grease. When the beef is just about done, grind the pepper over the beef, probably about 1 Tbsp worth.
- 3Add about 1/2 to 1 Tbsp soy sauce and mix it in to the beef.
- 4You can replace the soy sauce with salt, but it adds a nice zing to the flavor.
- 5At this point, I usually cut the onion into chunks and throw it into my Cuisinart with the garlic, and shred them to bits, and toss them in .
- 6But sliced into small bits works well also.
- 7Add the onion and garlic, and let cook down (covered) until the onion gets a little clear.
- 8I add a little oil here sometimes, depending on how much fat was in the meat. Add the tomato paste, and mix it in .
- 9I do the paste first because it makes it faster and easier to get the consistency right when the sauce comes in .
- 10Add the sauce and mix it well.
- 11Add generous amounts of the oregano and Italian Seasoning.
- 12Don't go overboard on the basil though.
- 13Add the bay leaves.
- 14Let it simmer.
- 15Mix it, and let it simmer longer.
- 16Start the water boiling for the ziti.
- 17Add some salt and oil to the water to make it boil quicker, and to help keep the zitis from sticking.
- 18Throw the green pepper, sausage, and mushrooms into the sauce. Next stir about 4 or 5 Tbsp Parmesan cheese in to the sauce. When the ziti is done, drain them and dump into a large rectangular Pyrex.
- 19I don't remember the exact size, but I think its around 9x18.
- 20You may have a touch too many zitis, but they are delicious plain, so eat any extras.
- 21Once the Parmesan has melted into the sauce and made it stringy, and the sauce has thickened, stir the sauce into the zitis.
- 22Mix it all well.
- 23Now, lay the sliced mozzarella over the ziti like shingles on a roof.
- 24Sprinkle over some more Parmesan, maybe a tablespoons.
- 25Bake at 350°F for 45 minutes to 1 hour.
Browse Our Top Pasta, Rice and Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Baked Ziti
Serving Size: 1 (306 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 679.4
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 12.8 g
- Cholesterol 93.8 mg
- Sodium 1524.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 11.6 g
- Protein 34.9 g