1/1 Photo of Homemade Baked Yellow Eyed Beans
Baby Kato's Note:
My husband loves yellow eyed beans. He believes that they make the best baked beans...I think he's right. You can substitute with your favourite bean...enjoy with warm oatmeal brown bread or fresh challah and sweet butter.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 cups beans, yellow eyed or 2 cups navy beans or 2 cups peas
- 12 cups water
- 1 medium sweet onion, peeled
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon coarse sea salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, fresh grind
- 1/3 cup molasses, dark
- 1/2 cup maple syrup, pure
- 1/2 lb bacon, slices hickory smoked or 1/2 lb brown sugar bacon or 1/2 lb maple bacon or 1/2 lb pepper bacon, diced
- 1Wash the yellow eyed beans in cold water.
- 2Rinse and soak in 12 cups of water overnight.
- 3Preheat oven to 250 degrees Drain the beans and cover with 12 cups of fresh water.
- 4Bring the water to a hard boil and simmer the beans, uncovered, until the skins split.
- 5(when they are blown on) Drain and put beans in large casserole.
- 6Hide the onion in the middle of the beans, buried down deep.
- 7Mix all ingredients except for the bacon and pour over the yellow eyed beans and onion.
- 8Mix the diced bacon into the bean mixture.
- 9Add enough boiling water to cover the beans, adding more boiling water during cooking, if necessary to keep the beans from drying out.
- 10Baked the covered beans in a 250 degree oven for 8 hours.
- 11Remove the lid during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Baked Yellow Eyed Beans
Serving Size: 1 (588 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 344.1
- Calories from Fat 156
- Total Fat 17.3 g
- Saturated Fat 5.7 g
- Cholesterol 25.7 mg
- Sodium 1500.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 43.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.4 g
- Sugars 36.0 g
- Protein 4.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: