Prep 1 hr
Cook 2 hrs
I created this recipe from a compilation of ol' school favs (betty crocker, searchlight, etc). The beans are tender and the sauce is light and have the beans the perfect blend of sweet and savory.
- 1 lb dried navy beans
- 1 1⁄2 cups chicken stock
- 1⁄2 lb chopped bacon (place bacon in freezer for 20 minutes to ease chopping)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 minced garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons A.1. Original Sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried mustard
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- Soak beans overnight, drain and rinse.
- Cook Beans in 8 cups of water for 1 hour or until tender.
- Drain Beans and place in dutch oven.
- Add remaining ingredients to dutch oven and bake covered at 325 degrees for 2 hours. Remove cover for last 15 minute Let stand for 20 minutes to allow for sauce to thicken. Taste and add salt if desired.
This got rave reviews at our BBQ this week! I didn't have any A-1, so I used some bbq sauce and Worcestershire instead, and substituted regular mustard for dry mustard. Other than that I followed the recipe. I had never made baked beans from scratch before, so I loved this recipe since it was so easy to follow and used ingredients that I had on-hand anyway. I am not a fan of overly-sweet foods, and this was just right for me. This is definitely a recipe I'll come back to!