Prep 20 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is a very easy recipe that my mom used to make when i was growing up-you can change the types of cheese to add a different flavor too. I like it spicy !
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, hot (not boiling)
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated American cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (for different variation, try using Monterrey jack cheese or adding 1/2 cup jalapeno slices)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray a casserole dish.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- When melted, add flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute (until butter is absorbed).
- Whisk in hot milk, cook for 3 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Add 1 cup each of the cheeses, and stir until smooth.
- Cook macaroni, drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Combine everything together and pour into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, and bake at 400Ffor 20 minutes.
I have my own baked mac and cheese recipe, but wanted to see how someone else's was, since I usually "eyeball." Doing so messes up my roux. Anyway, I used your recipe, adding some black pepper, garlic, paprika, and parsley. And because my family wants it rib-sticky, we doubled the cheese. I also turned the broiler on for the last 5 min. This was the best macaroni and cheese I have ever baked! Thanks for sharing!
This was absolutely wonderful, my first time making homemade mac&cheese. It turned out wonderfully. This is now my 2nd time and Im taking it to a company picnic, where I'm sure it will go over well! Thanks for posting such an easy tasty recipe.
This should be 5 stars, All the other mac and cheese recipes added eggs, And I just wanted that creamy bechamel sauce, I did like Rachel Ray and added a dash of nutmeg, I know too much and it would of been an eggnog mac n cheese ! Thanks for this awesome recipe ! should be at the top.