Recipe by Cheryl Gero
This is a very easy recipe that my mom used to make when i was growing up-you can change the types of cheese to add a different flavor too. I like it spicy !
Top Review by Momma21
I have my own baked mac and cheese recipe, but wanted to see how someone else's was, since I usually "eyeball." Doing so messes up my roux. Anyway, I used your recipe, adding some black pepper, garlic, paprika, and parsley. And because my family wants it rib-sticky, we doubled the cheese. I also turned the broiler on for the last 5 min. This was the best macaroni and cheese I have ever baked! Thanks for sharing!
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 2 cups milk, hot (not boiling)
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated American cheese
- 1 1⁄4 cups grated sharp cheddar cheese (for different variation, try using Monterrey jack cheese or adding 1/2 cup jalapeno slices)
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease or spray with non-stick cooking spray a casserole dish.
- Melt butter in medium saucepan.
- When melted, add flour, stirring constantly for about 1 minute (until butter is absorbed).
- Whisk in hot milk, cook for 3 minutes (stirring constantly).
- Add 1 cup each of the cheeses, and stir until smooth.
- Cook macaroni, drain, rinse under cold water, and drain again.
- Combine everything together and pour into casserole dish.
- Sprinkle the rest of the cheese on top, and bake at 400Ffor 20 minutes.