2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 30 mins
These home-baked bagels are crispy on the outside, soft on the inside, and great with cream cheese or butter!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a small bowl, mix yeast, sugar and warm water together and let stand 3 minutes.
- 2Mix 2 cups of flour with the salt in a large bowl; then add the yeast mixture. Stir until combined and slowly mix in the rest of the flour.
- 3Knead dough on a floured surface for 5 minutes, adding additional flour if necessary. Dough should be fairly smooth and somewhat firm. Place dough in a greased bowl, cover and let rise until double.
- 4Punch dough down (if making cinnamon raisin bagels, add the cinnamon and raisins now -- knead just enough to swirl the cinnamon through the dough). Divide and shape into 12 balls. (For larger bagels, make only 8 balls.) Allow to rest for 5 minutes.
- 5Bring 2 quarts of water to boil. Make a hole in each ball of dough and pull open about 2 inches, making a bagel shape. Place the shaped dough onto a cookie sheet and cover for 10 minutes.
- 6Preheat oven to 350°F Drop 2 or 3 bagels at a time into the boiling water for about 45 seconds, turning each once.
- 7Drain cooked bagels on a wire rack. Mix egg white and water; brush tops with egg white mixture and top with optional toppings, if using. Place bagels on greased baking sheets.
- 8Bake at 350°F for 35 minutes, turning once half-way through baking. (If making plain bagels, you can flip the bagels; otherwise, just rotate.) Bagels will be lightly browned and shiny.
- 9Additional Notes:.
- 10This recipe and photos were submitted by guest chef Bethany Kerr.
- 11She writes, "I love this recipe because the bagels taste so much better fresh than they do bought from the store -- the kids and hubby adore them! They really are not that difficult or time consuming to make either. :)".
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (243 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 270.9
- Calories from Fat 7
- Total Fat 0.8 g
- Saturated Fat 0.1 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 887.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.5 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.4 g
- Sugars 4.9 g
- Protein 8.4 g