1 hr 15 mins
Courtesy of foodblog "Baking Bites", my first attempt at making home-made bagels, and they were a HUGE hit! Please, please try it for yourself!
My Private Note
large b ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large bowl (or the bowl of a stand mixer) combine yeast, sugar and water.
- 2Let stand for 5 minutes, then stir in flour and salt.
- 3Mix dough thoroughly until it comes together in a large ball, pulling away from the sides of the bowl. Add an additional tablespoon of flour or water, if needed.
- 4If kneading by hand, turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and knead until very smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes. If using a stand mixer, knead dough with the dough hook until elastic, about 8 minutes on a low speed.
- 5Place dough in a lightly greased bowl, cover with plastic wrap and let rise for 1 hour, or until doubled in size.
- 6Bring a large pot of water to a gentle boil and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- 7When dough has risen, turn the dough out onto a very lightly floured surface and divide into 8 equal pieces. Shape each piece into a tight ball, pinching the corners together at the bottom of the piece of dough. When all the balls are shaped, let the dough rest for 30 minutes covered with a clean dish towel.
- 8Once dough balls have rested, the bagel shape can be formed. Using your fingers, poke a hole through the center of each dough ball. Stretch out the dough into a ring with your fingers and be sure to make the hole a little larger than you want the finished bagel to have, as it will shrink slightly while the bagel is expanding during the baking process.
- 9Let bagels rest for about 10 minutes.
- 10Working a couple at a time, drop the bagels carefully into the boiling water. Boil for 2 minutes on the first side, then flip and boil for an additional minute.
- 11Using a slotted spoon or strainer, transfer bagels to a clean towel to drain for a moment, then place on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Repeat process with remaining bagels.
- 12Brush boiled bagels with lightly beaten egg (a pastry or bbq brush is a good tool for this) and bake for 20-24 minutes, until golden brown.
- 13Cool completely on a wire rack.
- 14Slice and toast to serve.
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (126 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 247.2
- Calories from Fat 11
- Total Fat 1.3 g
- Saturated Fat 0.3 g
- Cholesterol 26.4 mg
- Sodium 883.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 1.7 g
- Protein 7.8 g