Recipe by Wing-Man
Makin' bacon. This is really easy and the best part is there are no phosphates or nitrite chemicals in the finished product. So you can feel good about eating it. Freezes well. I divide into one pound packages and freeze. If you like peppered bacon just smother it before smoking.
Directions See How It's Made
- Rub pork completely with salt.
- Rub on honey.
- Place in garbage bag and sqeeze out excess air and wrap up tightly.
- Place in fridge for at least 3 days turning once per day.
- Remove and rinse pork.
- Pat dry.
- Place pork on cooling rack in front of a fan for about an hour to let pelicle form. This step is necessary for the smoke to adhere. When the pork is sticky to the touch it is ready for the smoker.
- Place wood chips and charcoal in smoke box.
- Place pork on rack in smoker and cold smoke @ 100 degrees for 3 hours. Use a smoker with a thermostat.
- Remove slice and fry. You now have bacon.
- You must cook the bacon as it is still raw after cold smoking.
- Use maple wood if you can find it or hickory.