Prep 15 mins
Cook 0 mins
How would you like to try making your own homemade dip and at the same time avoid additives (such as gums, emulsifiers, acids, thickeners, sugar, salt and preservatives). Here is your answer to a quick very easy dip.
- 500 g smooth low-fat ricotta or 500 g smooth cottage cheese or 500 g silken tofu or 500 g natural yoghurt
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon lime juice or 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon chopped chili
- Place all ingredients into blender or food processor and blend until combined.
- Serve with Dip accompaniments such as these: Raw vegetables, (try carrot sticks, green beans, snow peas (remove strings), zucchini and celery. Broccoli, cauliflower and asparagus can be dropped into boiling water for 1 minute, drained and then rinsed under the cold tap to keep them crisp.) Rice crackers or thin wafer crackers.
- Rye bread cut into small triangles or squares.
- Pitta bread (spray with olive oil, sprinkle with poppy and sesame seeds and bake in the oven until crisp).
I liked the fact that there were no additives! I think it needed another avocado. I used the low-fat ricotta. I also added salt & pepper. To me, it was more like a spread for pitas, etc. I would have liked more avocado taste instead of cheese. The "bite" of the chili was just right!
Hey Chrissy, where did you get my recipe from? ;-) I prefer to use a good Greek yoghurt in dips. An alternative to chili is a few drops of chili oil which you can usually find in the Asian section.