1 hr 5 mins
This recipe is from James McNair's Pasta Cookbook. I have not tried this, but am posting it in reply to a request. The unusual ingredients may be found in Asian markets. A large steamer into which shallow pans can be placed is used in this recipe. The use of two or more 8 or 9-inch square shallow pans is recommended to expedite noodle production. I was not sure how to list the times for this recipe, as it does not stand alone. All times are approximations and guesses.
My Private Note
pound n ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1Combine all ingredients except the oil in a large bowl and beat until smooth.
- 2Strain through a fine wire sieve.
- 3Mix in oil and let rest for 30 minutes.
- 4Coat an 8 or 9-inch square pan with oil.
- 5Fill the part of the steamer which contains water, and bring to a boil.
- 6Stir up the reserved noodle batter to recombine.
- 7Coat the bottom of the oiled pan evenly, using about ½ cup batter.
- 8Place filled pan in the steamer, arranging a towel between the pan and the top of the steamer to catch condensation, without allowing the towel to touch the batter.
- 9Steam 5 minutes; remove pan from steamer and place in a container of cold water.
- 10Keep in the cold water until the steamed mixture is cool.
- 11Remove mixture from pan and place on a lightly oiled baking sheet.
- 12Lightly brush the top with oil.
- 13Continue in this manner until all batter has been used, stacking the sheets on one another.
- 14Remove all to a plate or tray, cover tightly with plastic wrap and refrigerate from 2 hours to overnight.
- 15The sheets can be used as is for stuffed pastas or sliced to the desired width with a sharp knife for noodles.
- 16This may be frozen.
- 17To cook, whether fresh or frozen, cover with cold water and soak 15 minutes for thin noodles, or up to 1 hour for thick ones.
- 18Drain and cook briefly in plenty of boiling water as for other types of pasta.
Browse Our Top Lunch/Snacks Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Lunch/Snacks Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Asian Rice Noodles
Serving Size: 1 (274 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 343.1
- Calories from Fat 100
- Total Fat 11.1 g
- Saturated Fat 1.5 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1166.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 55.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.6 g
- Sugars 0.0 g
- Protein 4.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: