- 6 -8 granny smith apples
- 6 -8 mcintosh apples
- 2 oranges, juice and zest of
- 1 lemon, juice and zest of
- 1⁄2 cup brown sugar, packed
- 4 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Place the zest and juice of the oranges and lemon in a large bowl.
- Peel, quarter, and core the apples (reserve the peel of 2 of the red apples) and toss into bowl with the juice.
- Pour the apples, reserved apple peel, and juice into a nonreactive Dutch oven or enameled iron pot.
- Add the brown sugar, butter, cinnamon, and allspice.
- Cover the pot.
- Bake for 1 hour.
- Remove the apple peel. Mix with a whisk until smooth.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.