Recipe by Lennie
Good basic applesauce. Add some red-hots (cinnamon hearts candy) to boost the flavour and the colour.
Top Review by Anu
I finally made this today, and it's fantastic! Since I had only 2 lb of apples, I halved the recipe, and for a while, I was worried that 1/4 cup water would not be enough, but all went well, and I have a jar of yummy applesauce sitting in my refigerator now! Thanks Lennie, now I have something to top my pancakes with!
- 4 lbs red-skinned apples, about 12
- 1⁄2 lemon, unpeeled,sliced
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Core apples and cut into eighths.
- Peel if desired; it's not necessary.
- Place in large, heavy pot with the lemon slices, cinnamon sticks and water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, stirring often.
- Cook until apples are soft, 15 minutes or so.
- Remove lemon and cinnamon; stir in sugar.
- Put mixture into food processor and pulse until smooth.
- Taste and add more sugar if you like.
- Store in the refrigerator.