Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
Easy to make and works well.
- Slice unpeeled apples including cores and seeds into a large kettle.
- Add water.
- Cover and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 20 minutes.
- Do not overcook.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool slightly.
- Pour pulp and juice through a damp jelly bag or four layers of cheesecloth and allolw to drip undisturbed into a large bowl for 4 hours to overnight.
- Place apple juice in a large pot and bring to a boil.
- Boil rapidly until volume is reduced by half.
- Quickly ladle into hot, sterlized pint or half-pint jars leaving 1/4 inch head space.
- Process in a boiling water bath for 10 minutes.
- ***1pound of apples makes around 1 cup pectin.
It is very easy to use. I used 2/3 cup to 4 cups of juice and 7 cups of sugar. I then just brought it to a rolling boil, added the sugar and brought it back to a rolling boil for 1 minute. Laurie
Couldn't be easier!