Prep 1 hr 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Delicious apple jam bread recipe – and so easy to make.
- 250 g plain flour
- 5 g yeast
- 25 g sugar
- 7.39 ml salt
- 110 ml warm water
- 1 egg, Beaten, Divided Use
- 25 g butter, Softened
- 118.29 ml apple jam
- In a mixing bowl combine flour, yeast, sugar, and salt. Mix for 1 minute. Next add water and half of the beaten egg. Mix. Add butter and mix until combined. Knead by hand until smooth and elastic, about 10 minutes.
- Cover the dough and let it rise in a warm place for about 30 minutes. After that, punch the dough down and make a large round ball and allow it to rise for 10 minutes longer.
- Now take out the dough ball and roll it out with a rolling pin until you have roughly a 12 x10 inch rectangle that is about 1/4 inch thick.
- Place the apple jam across the dough. I used homemade apple jam but store bought is fine. Spread it across the surface of the dough but leave about a 1 inch border around the entire rectangle – so the jam doesn’t ooze out. Roll the dough up into a log. Cut the log into 7 equal slices using a sharp knife.
- Place the dough slices in a greased baking pan. I staggered them, placing the cut sides beside each other and shaped the dough into a wheat stalk shape. I’ve done this in the photo above.
- Allow to rise for 10 minutes. Next brush the remaining beaten egg over the top of the bread.
- Bake at 200 C for 20 minutes or until golden brown. Serve and enjoy.