1/1 Photo of Homemade Apple Crisp or Apple Crumble
1 hr 30 mins
This Apple Crisp, or Apple Crumble, is the best one that I have ever made. It has become a staple for every gathering that we hold. I hear about it if it is missing from the food line-up! I also frequently take it to potlucks, BBQ's and get-togethers. It has the perfect blend of ingredients for a true homemade, down home, apple dessert flavor. This is very comforting in the winter months served warm, yet refreshing in the summer months served at room temperature with a dollop of sour cream, cinnamon or vanilla ice cream.NOTE: Prep time does not include the 15 minute resting time after baking. Do not skip this step or the crisp will have to much unabsorbed liquid and will become messy on the plate.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 lbs apples (McIntosh or Macoun)
- 1 orange, zest of, grated
- 1 lemon, zest of, grated
- 2 tablespoons orange juice, freshly squeezed
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 1/2 cups flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup oatmeal
- 1/2 lb unsalted butter, cold and diced
- 1Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- 2Butter a 9 by 13 by 2-inch baking dish.
- 3Zest the orange and the lemon and squeeze the juices from both.
- 4Peel, core, and cut the apples into large wedges. Combine the apples with the zests, juices, sugar, and spices. Pour into the dish.
- 5To make the topping, combine the flour, sugars, salt, oatmeal, and cold butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with the paddle attachment. Mix on low speed until the mixture is crumbly and the butter is the size of peas.
- 6Scatter evenly over the apples and cut the 4 table spoons of butter into slices. Place the slices all over the top of the topping. If you skip this step, you may find that you have dry spots in the topping.
- 7Place the crisp in its baking dish on a sheet pan to catch anything that may spill over and bake for 1 hour until the top is brown and the apples are bubbly.
- 8Allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- 9COOKS NOTES: This can be made the day before. To store, let cool to room temperature, lightly place a paper towel on top of the crisp to absorb condensation. Cover tightly with foil, plastic wrap, or a lid. To reheat, place leftovers in the oven at 350 degrees for 15 minutes. Or, microwave single servings for 30-40 seconds at a time until warmed through.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade Apple Crisp or Apple Crumble
Serving Size: 1 (302 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 486.9
- Calories from Fat 181
- Total Fat 20.1 g
- Saturated Fat 12.3 g
- Cholesterol 50.8 mg
- Sodium 110.0 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 77.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.8 g
- Sugars 54.1 g
- Protein 3.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
oranges, zest of
lemons, zest of