Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups chocolate chips
- 1 1⁄2 cups nuts
- 1⁄2 cup coconut (optional)
- 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup butter
- 2 cups sugar
- Chop chocolate chips, nuts, and coconut together.
- Spread 1/2 of this mixture on the bottom of a 9x13-inch pan.
- Set remaining 1/2 of mixture aside.
- In a large, heavy saucepan, combine margarine, butter, and sugar.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until candy reaches 310 degrees Fahrenheit (hard crack stage).
- Remove from heat, and immediately pour over nut& chocolate mixture in pan.
- Take the reserved 1/2 of nut& chocolate mixture and sprinkle evenly over hot candy.
- Place in refrigerator for a few hours until cool and hard.
- Remove, then cut into pieces.
- Note: the success of this recipe depends in large part on the quality of the margarine.
- If it does not work out, try again with another brand of margarine.