2 hrs 15 mins
1 hr 30 mins
I just found this in my recipe drawer, written down on paper. I wrote it down from somewhere or someone, just don't remember who or where! lol I have not tried it yet, but it is definitely on my "To Try Soon" list. Times are approx.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Heat, stirring, to boiling, then continue to cook, using a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- 2Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and form peaks. Don't use a plastic bowl for this.
- 3When the sugar solution comes to 270 degrees F, or the soft-crack stage, remove from the heat and pour the mixture in thin streams into the egg whites, blending completely with the mixer set on low speed.
- 4Continue to mix until the candy begins to harden to the consistency of dough. This may take as long as 20 minutes.
- 5At this point, add the semisweet chocolate chips. Remember that the candy must already be at the consistency of dough when you add the chocolate; the nougat won't thicken after the chocolate is added.
- 6When the chocolate is thoroughly blended and the nougat has thickened, press it into a greased 9x9 inch pan.
- 7Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- 8With a sharp knife, cut the candy in half down the middle of the pan. Then cut across into 7 segments to create a total of 14 bars.
- 9Melt the milk chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave for 2 minutes, on half power, stirring halfway through the heating time. Melt completely, but be careful not to overheat.
- 10Resting a bar on a fork, dip each bar into the chocolate to coat completely and place on wax paper.
- 11Cool till firm at room temperature, 1-2 hours, or I would try putting in the fridge to set.
Browse Our Top Candy Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Homemade 3 Musketeers Candy
Serving Size: 1 (136 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 14
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 524.6
- Calories from Fat 165
- Total Fat 18.4 g
- Saturated Fat 10.5 g
- Cholesterol 11.1 mg
- Sodium 83.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 88.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 74.9 g
- Protein 4.6 g