Prep 45 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I just found this in my recipe drawer, written down on paper. I wrote it down from somewhere or someone, just don't remember who or where! lol I have not tried it yet, but it is definitely on my "To Try Soon" list. Times are approx.
- 3 cups sugar
- 3⁄4 cup light corn syrup
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg whites
- 1⁄3 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 2 (12 ounce) bags milk chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- In a large saucepan over medium heat, combine the sugar, corn syrup, water and salt. Heat, stirring, to boiling, then continue to cook, using a candy thermometer to monitor the temperature.
- Beat the egg whites until they are stiff and form peaks. Don't use a plastic bowl for this.
- When the sugar solution comes to 270 degrees F, or the soft-crack stage, remove from the heat and pour the mixture in thin streams into the egg whites, blending completely with the mixer set on low speed.
- Continue to mix until the candy begins to harden to the consistency of dough. This may take as long as 20 minutes.
- At this point, add the semisweet chocolate chips. Remember that the candy must already be at the consistency of dough when you add the chocolate; the nougat won't thicken after the chocolate is added.
- When the chocolate is thoroughly blended and the nougat has thickened, press it into a greased 9x9 inch pan.
- Refrigerate until firm, about 30 minutes.
- With a sharp knife, cut the candy in half down the middle of the pan. Then cut across into 7 segments to create a total of 14 bars.
- Melt the milk chocolate chips and shortening in the microwave for 2 minutes, on half power, stirring halfway through the heating time. Melt completely, but be careful not to overheat.
- Resting a bar on a fork, dip each bar into the chocolate to coat completely and place on wax paper.
- Cool till firm at room temperature, 1-2 hours, or I would try putting in the fridge to set.
This recipe was created by Todd Wilbur for "More Top Secret Recipes" (Penguin/Putnam) and www.TopSecretRecipes.com