Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
This is a different recipe from chili or pork'n beans. DH wants this on a regular basis. Use two cans of beans for a smaller amount. I like a couple of cans of garbonzos and one of kidney, but use all kidney if you're feeding traditionalists. I got this years and years ago from Peg Bracken's "I Hate To Cook Book". It was the first cook book I bought ever, at Lake Tahoe when I was 16. Feel free to add chili or Italian spice mix or a boullion cube or two. I've done it all, but I didn't care for the apple bacon.
- 3 (16 ounce) canscooked beans, with liquid (Kidney, Garbanzo, little White or Red, etc.)
- 1 (14 1/2 ounce) cansliced peeled tomatoes, with liquid
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1⁄2 lb bacon
- Layer the cans of beans alternately with about 1/3 of the tomatoes and onion.
- Put 1/3 of the bacon on top.
- Bake at 325°F for 2 hours.
- Punch the bacon down and mix a bit.
- Put another 1/3 bacon on top and bake two hours.
- Finish with the last of the bacon and bake another two hours.
- Add a bit of water if it gets too dry.