Recipe by Chef shapeweaver �
I know there are several Mac & Cheese recipes already on here, and I figured one more wouldn't hurt. :) Cook time for pasta isn't including in prep or cook time. As with all my recipes, please feel free to adjust the seasonings according to you and your families tastes.
- 1 1⁄4 cups elbow macaroni
- 3 tablespoons margarine or 3 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄8 th. cup finely chopped sweet onion, can use same amount of green onion if desired
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2-2 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon ground mustard, can use prepared mustard instead
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt, add more if desired
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper, add more if desired
- 6 ounces shredded colby-monterey jack cheese, divided
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook pasta according to package directions and set aside.
- Over medium heat, in a medium size saucepan melt margarine and add onions.
- Cook onions until softened.
- Add flour and cook until lightly browned.
- Turn heat to low and add milk a little at a time, stir until desired thickness is reached. ( You might need a little more milk, it all depends on how thick you want it. ).
- Remove sauce from heat and add 4 1/2 ounces of cheese, a little at a time or it might turn out " STRINGY ".
- Add seasonings to sauce and mix well.
- Add cooked pasta to seasoned sauce and stir until pasta is well coated.
- Pour pasta/sauce into an 11 x 7 inch pan that has been prepared with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle with remaining cheese, and sprinkle additional paprika if desired.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 35 minutes or until top is golden brown.