Recipe by Julesong
Nothing fancy here - just good, old fashioned and delicious scalloped potatoes.
Top Review by E Inge S.
This is how my mother-in law made it and it was always great. I used 1/2 milk 1/2 heavy cream did not have all milk. We will see how it works. Glad i found this. Oh i did add some leftover ham, smoked paprika and cayenne. We like it a bit hot.
- 1⁄3 cup chopped onion
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 5 cups milk
- 6 cups thinly sliced potatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, sauté onion in butter until tender.
- Stir in flour, salt, and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk and bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until sauce is thickened.
- Place half of potatoes in a greased 3 quart baking dish.
- Pour half of sauce over potatoes; repeat layers.
- Bake, uncovered, at 350 degrees F for 60 to 70 minutes or until potatoes are tender and top is lightly browned.
- Serve immediately; makes 8 servings.
- Source: high school home economics book.