1/1 Photo of Home-Style Refried Beans
Kozmic Blues's Note:
This recipe is from Viva Vegan! I saw it reviewed on the blog: Tree Hugger. Posting here so I don't loose it. **Update: now that I've made this recipe, I don't think I'll ever, EVER buy refried beans in the can again. These had such and incredibly fresh and intense flavor! Perfect for burritos and nachos!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil (corn or peanut will work well too)
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 jalapenos, seeded and minced (serranos work well too)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon chile powder (ancho or a blend is nice)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans pinto beans, draines and rinsed (black or pink beans work well too)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cups water
- salt and fresh pepper
- 1In a large heavy cast-iron skillet, combine the oil and garlic and cook over medium heat.
- 2Allow the garlic to sizzle for 30 seconds, then add the onion and jalapeno. Using a wooden spoon to stir occasionally, fry until the onions turn translucent, about 10 minutes.
- 3Sprinkle in the cumin, oregano, and chile powder, and fry for another 30 seconds.
- 4Stir in the beans, bay leaf, and water, and increase heat to medium-high. Bring the mixture to a boil, then lower the heat to medium again and allow to simmer for 20 minutes, or until more than half the liquid has been absorbed, but about an inch of liquid remains.
- 5Remove the bay leaf and discard.
- 6Use a potato masher to mash the beans smooth, then stir to form a thick, moist paste, anywhere from 5 to 8 minutes.
- 7If refried beans appear to dry out, add a little water a few tablespoons at a time, until your desired consistency is reached.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Home-Style Refried Beans
Serving Size: 1 (265 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 253.5
- Calories from Fat 50
- Total Fat 5.5 g
- Saturated Fat 0.8 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 9.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 39.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 13.2 g
- Sugars 1.4 g
- Protein 13.0 g