Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
- Combine pears, water and lemon juice in a heavy bottomed 8-quart pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring often.
- Reduce heat, cover and simmer until soft, stirring often (about 30 minutes).
- Add sugar and cinnamon, bring to a boil.
- If too chunky put it thru a food mill.
- Fill prepared hot jars with hot sauce, leaving 1/2-inch headspace.
- Gently run a narrow nonmetallic spatula between sauce and jars to release air bubbles.
- Wipe rims clean; top with hot lids, then firmly screw on bands.
- Process in boiling water bath for 15 minutes for pints, 20 minutes for quarts.
- You may want to change the amount of sugar depending on your taste.
This pear sauce is fabulous!! I was using some sort of small pears off of my neighbor's pear tree, so I couldn't really tell if I was using the proper amount for the recipe. After cooking the pears I just added cinnamon and sugar to taste. I ended up with 5 quart size jars and three pint size jars. I love cinnamon, so I think I probably used a couple tablespoons, but only about 1/3 cup of sugar since the pears were very sweet on their own. I served some to a dinner guest and my kids over vanilla ice cream for dessert tonight and they all loved it. This is going to be my staple pear sauce recipe from now on.
I am with CarolAT---WOW! This recipe was right on target with ingredients and cooking times. For personal preference the sugar was reduced to 1/2 cup and I only used 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon. The cooked pears were processed in the Vita-Mix. Thanks for posting the canning instructions in the recipe.
Wow, this recipe is very good. Not too sweet and just a hint of cinnamon really makes this a keeper recipe. I had a great crop of pears from my pear tree this year, and I wanted to be able to use them before the birds nibbled at too many of them. I doubled the recipe and used 18-20 lbs. pounds of pears, added three teaspoons of cinnamon, and ran my cooked pears through my food mill to get a smoother texture. I ended up with 7 pints of delicious pear sauce. My granddaughter just loves applesauce so I know she will really enjoy this pear sauce too. Thanks for posting this great recipe.