Recipe by Irmgard
From the March 1998 Milk Calendar, it is a little time-consuming to prepare but the end result is so good, it is worth it.
Top Review by sadronov
This one is a fabulous recipe. I used to make it in university, but then lost the recipe. Joy of joys I've found it again. It's been requested for our Canadian/Russian/Chinese/French Christmas day party for our friends that are Buddist, Catholic, Jewish and Atheist . A recipe that works for all of us...DEFINATLY worth the time it takes.
- 4 tablespoons butter, divided
- 4 cups mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 1 (24 ounce) jar pasta sauce, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil, chopped
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, grated and divided
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated and divided
- 15 lasagna noodles, precooked to al dente
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a large frying pan, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter.
- Add the mushrooms and cook over medium-high heat until tender; drain.
- Stir together the mushrooms and 1 cup of the pasta sauce; set aside.
- To make the bechamel sauce, melt the remaining butter in a small saucepan; add the flour, stirring to blend well.
- Add the milk, nutmeg and salt and cook over medium heat, stirring until thickened.
- Remove from the heat; set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, basil, 1 cup mozzarella, 1/4 cup parmesan and 1 cup of the bechamel sauce.
- To assemble, spread 1 cup of the remaining pasta sauce in the bottom of a 9" x 13" lasagna dish.
- Arrange a layer of 5 noodles over the sauce, overlapping slightly to the pan edges.
- Spread the ricotta mixture evenly over the noodles and repeat with another layer of noodles.
- Top with the mushrooms and last layer of lasagna noodles.
- Spread with the remaining pasta sauce, covering the noodles completely and drizzle with bechamel sauce.
- Top with the remaining mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover with foil and bake for 35 minutes or until the noodles are tender.
- Remove the foil and bake for an additional 10 minutes or until golden.