Rich and gooey! Works great as a main dish or side dish. The Tabasco sauce infuses the cheese flavors. The sweet rolls create a fantastic bread crumb topping.
- 1 lb elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup butter, for sauce
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 3 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon Tabasco sauce
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb smoked cheddar cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb monterey jack cheese, grated
- 1⁄2 lb muenster cheese, grated
- 3 tablespoons fresh ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon salt
Bread Crumb Topping
- 2 sweet dinner rolls
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Using the 1 tablespoon of butter to grease the bottom and sides of a 13x9 inch baking dish or 8x8x2 inch baking dish.
- Melt the 1/2 cup of butter in large saucepan over low heat.
- Add flour and stir with wooden spoon for about 3 minutes until roux is frothy.
- Warm milk in another saucepan or in the microwave.
- Add warm milk slowly to roux, stirring constantly.
- Turn to high heat until sauce reaches its boiling point.
- Turn down heat to low and simmer for about 5 minutes.
- While sauce is simmering, cook pasta in separate pan according to package instructions until al dente.
- Drain pasta.
- Add pepper, salt and Tabasco to sauce.
- Stir in cream and simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Mix 3/4 of all of the grated cheeses into sauce mixture.
- As soon as cheese melts, add macaroni and stir.
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Sprinkle the top with remaining cheese.
- For bread topping, chop sweet rolls in food processor until coarsely grated.
- In a small saucepan, melt butter.
- Add bread pieces and stir until they are coated in butter, about 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs on top of macaroni and cheese dish.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes until bubbly.