Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe comes from the "Gone With The Wind Cook Book - Famous Southern Cooking Recipes". There is a note in the foreward which I love: "Gone With The Wind told of a style of living. as well as a romantic drama, A way of living, playing, and eating that thrilled us all."
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 tablespoons butter, melted
- Sift flour, cornmeal, baking powder, soda, and salt together into mixing bowl.
- Combine sugar and egg; beat until light. Add buttermilk and butter.
- Combine slowly with dry ingredients.
- Stir only until ingredients are mixed.
- Grease a 9 inch panch generously, and cover with a thick sprinkling of cornmeal.
- Pour batter into pan, and bake at 210C for about 25 minutes, until nicely browned.