Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
This recipe comes from Vegetariana a great cook book to have when vegaterian guests are coming. I keep a premixed can of this easy to make curry powder on hand at all times. It is NOT a HOT curry, just aromatic and flavoursome.
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons ground coriander
- 2 teaspoons ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Spoon each of the spices into a spice jar, put the lid on, and shake it well to mix.
- OR, if you don't have such a jar on hand, mix by stirring in a small bowl.
There's something missing that makes it CURRY, imho - fenugreek. But I knew that when I chose this recipe (I left my fenugreek in NY). It IS a fabulous spice mix, though & everyone enjoyed it. I used it to substitute curry powder in Roasted Short Ribs from Kenya for ZWT4.
I did grind and add 1/4 +t fenugeek after anther reviewer suggested that was the missing ingredient. Nice substitute for curry powder. Actually better than some I've purchased.
I didn't feel like paying $9 for a small jar of curry at the grocery store so I made this recipe instead! It was good. I used it to season the veggie burgers I was making. I added about 2 teaspoons of paprika.