Home Fries With Onions and Chives
- Cover potatoes with salted cold water by 1 inch in a large pot, then boil until just tender when pierced with a knife, about 20 minutes. Drain potatoes and cool completely, then chill, wrapped in plastic wrap, at least 8 hours.
- Quarter potatoes lengthwise and cut crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces.
- Cook onions with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in 1 tablespoon butter in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until pale golden, 10 to 15 minutes, then transfer to a bowl.
- Heat 1 tablespoon butter and 1 tablespoon oil in skillet over moderately high heat until foam subsides, then sauté half of potatoes with 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/8 teaspoon pepper, stirring occasionally, until golden, 8 to 12 minutes.
- Add half of onions and sauté, stirring occasionally, until potatoes are golden brown, about 3 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and keep warm, covered. Cook remaining potatoes and onions in same manner.
- Return all vegetables to skillet and gently toss with remaining tablespoon butter and chives until butter is melted. Season with salt and pepper.