Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
The recipe has been handed down at least three generations and it always gets oohs and aahs from my family when I decide to make it. I either serve it with steak or ham chops. Be careful when cooking the potatoes as they sometimes pop right out of the skillet. One of those screen covers would work really well.
- 14 1⁄2 ounces canned sliced potatoes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1 large sweet onion
- Open cans and remove water.
- Dump potatoes out on a paper towel and blot excessive moisture off.
- Slice the onion and then chop it the other direction.
- In a skillet on medium-high heat melt 1-tablespoon of margarine.
- Saute the onion until tender.
- Remove onion from skillet and set aside.
- Add another tablespoon of margarine and melt it.
- Spread melted margarine so it coats bottom of the skillet.
- Place potato slices on to the skillet so each piece is touching the surface.
- As potatoes brown (golden), turn them over.
- (Since I double the recipe, I remove the browned potatoes and add more.
- uncooked ones to the skillet as they all don't fit in the pan at once.).
- Add the rest of the margarine to the skillet.
- After all of the potatoes have reached a golden brown on both sides, add.
- sauteed onions and fold into potatoes.
- Sprinkle garlic powder over cooking potatoes.
- Heat the onions & potatoes for another 20 minutes, flipping them every 5-minutes.
- Serve. Yum!
The only onion that I had on hand was a red one so thats what I used. I cooked these in the same pan that I had browned chicken in and that worked well. Also added a light sprinkle on corn meal just because a like it added to fried potato's. Very tasty and so easy using canned spuds, I always keep a couple of cans on hand in case of emergency. This was a good way to use one even if there wasn't an emergency. :D
I made these potatoes to go along with a pork steak I was making for DH and I for lunch. It made a perfect comfort meal for me!!! I did change a couple of things, I didn't have canned potatoes(plus it would have been too many potatoes for the 2 of us), so peeled and steamed a potato in the microwave. I also used butter instead of margarine, but otherwise, followed as written. I also cooked my onions til they were nice and golden!! Thanks for sharing the recipe that we both enjoyed!! Made for Potluck Tag Game.
Yum! Easy and fairly quick. Served with Salmon. Made for I Recommend Tag Game. Thanks for posting!