Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
In the summertime with lots of people at camp and a lot of cooking going on, burner space is at a minimum. This recipe starts on the stovetop and finishes in the oven.
- 4 large potatoes (peeled and sliced into 1/2 inch cubes)
- 2 tablespoons margarine or 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400 F.
- Melt margarine/butter over medium heat in a large heavy bottomed fry pan which has a heat resistant handle(I use cast iron)
- When butter starts to sizzle add potatoes and let fry for 2 minutes.
- Turn with a spatula and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Continue until all sides of potato cubes are browned.
- Place in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes until potatoes are tender.*.
- (Cooking time will depend on the type of potato used. Yukon Gold/Katahdins/Red Norlands take less time to cook than Shepradies/Russett/BellRus. Use your own judgement.).
very tastey. Just like the diners down the street
I did not start this one on the stove, nor did I peel the potatoes! I washed them, cut them, tossed them in a bowl with olive oil, minced garlic, onion powder, sea salt and paprika. I sprayed my cookie sheet and baked 12 mins, tossed then another 12 mins. So fast, so easy, and sooooo tasty! I will be doing this again, and I love that I didn't have to dirty multiple pans too.
These were really good! I added a little Paprika. Tastes much better than the frozen Home Fries! Just as easy to make too if you don't mind peeling potatoes. I will make them often.