Prep 15 mins
Cook 25 mins
Eggs, Bacon (or sausage), Cheese and Homefries...YUMMY! This is a variation on another one of my recipes, but this one uses fresh potatoes instead of frozen hash browns. It's very versatile and adaptable.
- 3 -4 medium russet potatoes
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 lb bacon (or sausage)
- 1⁄2-1 small onion, peeled and sliced thin
- 1⁄2 cup sharp cheddar cheese, shredded (or cheese or your choice)
- salt and pepper
- Start out by microwaving your potatoes as you would for baked potatoes. If you have leftover baked potatoes, you can just use those.
- Once potatoes are cool enough to touch, cut into large cubes (if you prefer them without the skin, peel first) and set aside.
- Fry bacon (or sausage) over medium heat in a 12 inch non-stick pan. Remove and set aside on a paper towel to drain. When cool enough, crumble into pieces.
- Remove grease from pan and discard, but leave a tbs or so of the bacon grease. (If using sausage, remove all grease and add a bit of butter or spray with butter flavor Pam).
- Add cubed potatoes and salt/pepper to taste and cook over medium for a few minutes until undersides are brown. Flip over, stir in slices onions and smash mixture down a bit with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, so it fills the bottom of the pan.
- With a spoon, make 4 "holes" in the potatoes, evenly spaced, about 2.5 inches in diameter. If the potatoes are sticking at all or if the pan looks too dry, add a bit of butter to each hole, or a spray of Pam.
- Crack and drop an egg into each hole and cover pan. You may need to lower the heat a little depending on your stove. Cook covered until the egg whites are mostly set.
- Remove lid and sprinkle egg whites with crumbled bacon and then with the cheese.
- Replace cover and cook on low until cheese is melted and eggs are set. I sometimes throw a splash of water at the side of the pan to created steam right before I recover the pan and turn it to low.
- If it seems as if the underside of the "casserole" is getting overdone, I remove the pan from the heat and leave the lid on for a few minutes, so the top will continue to cook.
YUMMYOOOOO. Made this tonight. Fast, Yummy and great. Leftovers for breakfast. Great for an easy supper. Try it.
Tasty and quick, thank you!
This is pretty good stuff. I've messed around the recipe according to what I feel like at the time and it always turns out good, and feeds for awhile. I'd highly recommend this.