1/3 Photos of Home Fries & Eggs Stove-Top Casserole
Eggs, Bacon (or sausage), Cheese and Homefries...YUMMY! This is a variation on another one of my recipes, but this one uses fresh potatoes instead of frozen hash browns. It's very versatile and adaptable.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Start out by microwaving your potatoes as you would for baked potatoes. If you have leftover baked potatoes, you can just use those.
- 2Once potatoes are cool enough to touch, cut into large cubes (if you prefer them without the skin, peel first) and set aside.
- 3Fry bacon (or sausage) over medium heat in a 12 inch non-stick pan. Remove and set aside on a paper towel to drain. When cool enough, crumble into pieces.
- 4Remove grease from pan and discard, but leave a tbs or so of the bacon grease. (If using sausage, remove all grease and add a bit of butter or spray with butter flavor Pam).
- 5Add cubed potatoes and salt/pepper to taste and cook over medium for a few minutes until undersides are brown. Flip over, stir in slices onions and smash mixture down a bit with a potato masher or the back of a spoon, so it fills the bottom of the pan.
- 6With a spoon, make 4 "holes" in the potatoes, evenly spaced, about 2.5 inches in diameter. If the potatoes are sticking at all or if the pan looks too dry, add a bit of butter to each hole, or a spray of Pam.
- 7Crack and drop an egg into each hole and cover pan. You may need to lower the heat a little depending on your stove. Cook covered until the egg whites are mostly set.
- 8Remove lid and sprinkle egg whites with crumbled bacon and then with the cheese.
- 9Replace cover and cook on low until cheese is melted and eggs are set. I sometimes throw a splash of water at the side of the pan to created steam right before I recover the pan and turn it to low.
- 10If it seems as if the underside of the "casserole" is getting overdone, I remove the pan from the heat and leave the lid on for a few minutes, so the top will continue to cook.
Browse Our Top Breakfast Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Breakfast Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Home Fries & Eggs Stove-Top Casserole
Serving Size: 1 (289 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1029.2
- Calories from Fat 632
- Total Fat 70.2 g
- Saturated Fat 26.1 g
- Cholesterol 478.7 mg
- Sodium 1281.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 59.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.3 g
- Sugars 3.7 g
- Protein 39.3 g