Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Did everyone's mother learn how to make this in home ec class? My dad and I loved this creamed tuna, and I never had my mother's directions for it; she learned it in high school home ec class and never wrote it down. While my MIL-to-be was visiting, I had the opportunity to copy some of her recipes and this one was in a church cookbook that she brought with her. It appears to be my mother's recipe exactly.
- 8 tablespoons butter
- 8 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- 1 (6 1/2 ounce) can tuna, drained
- 1 (17 ounce) can peas, drained
- Melt butter over low heat in a heavy saucepan.
- Blend flour and seasonings in butter and cook over low heat, stirring until mixture is smooth and bubbly.
- Remove from heat and stir in milk; bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and add eggs, tuna and peas.
- Heat through thoroughly and serve over toast.