120 hrs 15 mins
I love to try things from "scratch". This recipe also gave me the opportunity to lower the salt and not add nitrates as store-boughts do. Originally came from Cook's Illustrated, but OF COURSE I had to add a few things!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 5 -7 lbs beef brisket (either point or flat cut, Trim fat as needed)
- 1/2 cup kosher salt (Do not substitute regular or sea salt)
- 1 tablespoon cracked black pepper
- 1 tablespoon peppercorn
- 1 tablespoon ground allspice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons dried thyme
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 3 crumbled bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1Take the brisket and pierce it with a knife or tenderizer. Do each side at least 15x. Place brisket in 1 gallon plastic baggie.
- 2Mix all other ingredients together in a bowl or 2 cup measuring cup.
- 3Reaching inside baggie, sprinkle 1/2 the mixture over the brisket. Turn baggie over and repeat, sprinkling the other side. Seal the baggie after expressing as much air as possible.
- 4Place the bagged brisket in a dish large enough to hold it. It must then be weighted. You can use some cans from the pantry. I used 2 fairly heavy casserole dishes that nested, and placed the second on top of the brisket.
- 5Put the dish with the brisket in the refrigerator. I used bottom shelf in the back as it is the coldest spot. The brisket should be turned over 1x each day for at least 5 days, and no longer than 7 days.
- 6Rinse before using. I gave my brisket a cold-water bath while preparing the other ingredients for a traditional New England boiled dinner.
- 7This recipe is only for curing the beef. When I cooked this cured beef, I simmered it for at least 3 hours, then moved it to a casserole with a cup of broth ladled over it and let it rest for 20-30 minutes before slicing across the grain.
Browse Our Top Meat Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Meat Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Home-Cured Brisket (Corned Beef)
Serving Size: 1 (409 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1235.6
- Calories from Fat 910
- Total Fat 101.2 g
- Saturated Fat 40.6 g
- Cholesterol 275.9 mg
- Sodium 9682.8 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 14.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.7 g
- Sugars 0.2 g
- Protein 66.3 g