Prep 40 mins
Cook 0 mins
I can not remember where i found this recipe, but am posting it by request. Glad you enjoyed the recipe.
- 6 lbs tomatoes, peeled & quartered (one gallon)
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 3 bell peppers, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons canning salt
- 10 jalapeno peppers, chopped (for hot, or 7 for med. or mild use 4)
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- Put all ingredients in large enamel pot.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Pour into sterilized pints.
- Seal and process in boiling water bath 5 minutes.
1 question you don't mention seeding the tomatoes? Do you leave the seeds in? I tend to like my peels on too so I will be leaving them on.
I use a very similar recipe for canning. It is one recipe we use ALL the time! I can it in 4 oz and 8 oz jars. I use it for making Spanish Rice and also when cooking ground beef for Mexican meals. I didn't can enough last year and recently ran out. I know to make even more this season!
Wish I could give this more stars. The only thing I changed was added some yellow bannana peppers and some red bell peppers from the garden along with the green peppers. This stuff is good!!!! I made it mild. Next week will make the rotel dip with cheese for football. Thanks for posting.