Recipe by Fauve
For the purist in you... the purest vanilla flavoring ever. This one is from an old Southern Living magazine, from October of 1983.
Top Review by s'kat
This stuff is incredible. I haven't yet made it, but my mother-in-law uses that very same recipe from Southern Living. She has shared some of the extract with me in recent months, and I was amazed at the difference in flavour. If you've never had the pleasure of home made extract, do yourself a favour this holiday season and try it out!
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine vodka and vanilla beans in jar with tight fitting lid.
- Cover jar and let stand 6-8 weeks.
- Vodka mixture will turn amber colored in a day or two.
- After half the vanilla extract is used, add more vodka to cover the beans.
- The flavor in the beans is gone when vodka no longer turns a dark color.