I'm from Philly, so soft pretzels are all over, BUT these home-baked pretzels are awesome. They are more like a PA Dutch pretzel, a little softer and more airy.
- In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water.
- Add flour and salt and stir to form a soft dough.
- Turn dough onto a floured surface and knead until smooth, 4 to 5 times.
- Place in a greased bowl, cover and let rise for 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- Punch down and divide into 20 equal pieces.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll each piece into a 15 inch rope and twist into a pretzel shape.
- Combine baking soda and cold water and brush over each pretzel.
- Sprinkle with coarse salt.
- Place on non stick baking sheets.
- Bake for 15 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve warm with assorted mustards.