Prep 30 mins
Cook 45 mins
Before Mac & Cheese came in a cardboard box, it was made from scratch. My Mom made the best I ever tasted, but I don't have her recipe - so I made this one up. I take it to all the family potluck dinners, and get rave reviews! This recipe fills a very large (bigger than 9x12) casserole dish.
- 1 lb macaroni (shells)
- 1 lb macaroni (rotini or other fun shape)
- 1 lb Velveeta cheese, cubed in 1-inch squares
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1⁄2 cup half-and-half cream
- 16 ounces shredded cheese (pre-packaged mix with 4 or 5 different cheeses, such as asiago, mozarella, jack, romano, parmesan)
- 1⁄2 tablespoon salt (or more, to taste)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- Prepare macaroni per package instructions.
- Drain macaroni well, return to pot while still warm.
- Add Velveeta, cream cheese, salt & pepper.
- Stir until cheeses are melted, then add cream and stir until a creamy sauce has formed.
- Pour 1/2 the macaroni into a non-stick or greased casserole dish.
- Sprinkle 8 oz of the shredded cheese on top.
- Add the rest of the macaroni and sprinkle another 4 oz of the cheese on top.
- Cover casserole (with foil or lid).
- Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Remove cover, sprinkle remainder of shredded cheese on top and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until cheese is bubbly and just beginning to brown around the edges.
All I can say is WONDERFUL! I loved it.