- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion and garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for ten minutes.
- Uncover and simmer ten minutes more, stirring occasionally. If mixture is too thick, may be thinned with a little beer, broth or water.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions if desired.