Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 2 cups coarsely chopped onions
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 (15 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (28 ounce) can chopped tomatoes, undrained
- 1 large bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 cup picante sauce
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄8 teaspoon allspice
- Saute onion and garlic until tender, but not browned.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer for ten minutes.
- Uncover and simmer ten minutes more, stirring occasionally. If mixture is too thick, may be thinned with a little beer, broth or water.
- Garnish with shredded cheese, sour cream, and chopped green onions if desired.
Holy Moly was this good! Had such depth of flavor in such a short amount of time. Hubby adds Tabasco Chiptle to his for even more kick!
This was a nice stew...it had a good mole flavor. I also appreciated how healthy it is. Thanks for posting!
I loved this recipe. So fast and so flavorful. I used store bought mole sauce because I think it is a little bit more complex than just the spices listed here. That does require more stirring upon addition because it is a paste. I even took the leftovers and ground them up in a food processor to make a wonderful bean dip for tortilla chips today. will make again.