Recipe by MA HIKER
That's what your mouth will say when you take a bite of this moist and delicious chocolate cake! This recipe is a traditional birthday cake recipe for my family. Many thanks to Anne Byrn author of "The Cake Mix Doctor".
Top Review by suewolford
There must be an error in the recipe....way too much oil but I used that amount anyway. Didn't think about it being too much until I looked at the instructions on the cake mix box. I wish I had read the reviews or other recipes before using 1.25 cups of oil.
- 18 ounces devil's food cake mix
- 1 1⁄3 cups water
- 1 1⁄4 cups vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 8 ounces caramel topping
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup butterfinger candy bar, crushed
- 12 ounces frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 8 ounces cream cheese, softened
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Lightly spray a 13 by 9 inch pan with cooking spray.
- Mix cake mix, water, oil and eggs with an electric mixer. Blend on low speed for 1 minute, scrap the sides and then mix at medium for 2 more minutes.
- The batter should look thick and well blended.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan, smoothing out the top with the rubber spatula. Place the pan in the oven.
- Bake the cake until it springs back when lightly pressed with your finger and just starts to pull away from the sides of the pan, 35 to 38 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven and place it on a wire rack.
- Immediately poke holes in the top of the cake with a drinking straw or chopstick.
- While the cake is baking prepare the topping. Place the caramel topping and the sweetened condensed milk in a small bowl and stir to combine.
- Spoon this mixture over the warm cake so that it can seep down into the holes. Measure out half of the crushed candy bars and sprinkle the pieces over the cake.
- Place the whipped topping and cream cheese in a large mixing bowl and blend with an electric mixer on low speed until smooth and combined.
- Spread the frosting over the candy covered cake.
- Sprinkle the remaining candy pieces on top.
- Place the pan, uncovered, the refrigerator to chill the cake for about 20 minutes before cutting into squares and serving.
- Store this cake, covered with wax paper, in teh refrigerator for up to 1 week (if it lasts that long!).