Recipe by Rita~
Tulsi has many healing benefits. Relieves stress / adaptogen Bolsters immunity Enhances stamina Provides support during cold season Promotes healthy metabolism A natural immuno-modulator I infused it in honey to help soothe coughs and sore throats. From MP Bhattathiry (Retd. Chief Technical Examiner to the Govt. of Kerala, India) "Coughs: Tulsi is an important constituent of many Ayurvedic cough syrups and expectorants. It helps to mobilize mucus in bronchitis and asthma. Chewing tulsi leaves relieves cold and flu. Sore Throat: Water boiled with basil leaves can be taken as drink in case of sore throat. This water can also be used as a gargle coughs and sore throath." "Modern scientific research offers impressive evidence that Tulsi reduces stress, enhances stamina, relieves inflammation, lowers cholesterol, eliminates toxins, protects against radiation, prevents gastric ulcers, lowers fevers, improves digestion and provides a rich supply of antioxidants and other nutrients. Tulsi is especially effective in supporting the heart, blood vessels, liver and lungs and also regulates blood pressure and blood sugar." Dr. Ralph Miller, former Director of Research for the Canadian Dept. of Health and Welfare. DISCLAIMER: These are only general guidelines as a first aid. It is always better to see a doctor depending upon the intensity of the case. The views expressed above are entirely those of the author. I'm ready for this coming cold season are you?
- 2 cups lightly packed tulsi holy basil (Queen of herbs)
- 1⁄2 inch piece fresh ginger, smashed
- 2 cups raw honey
- 3 -4 cardamom pods, lightly crushed (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a double boiler warm honey and add remaining ingredients.
- Turn flame off and let steep covered over night.
- Reheat to warm and strain into a sterilized jar.
- Add about a teaspoon to a cup of warm tea.
- Take straight from a spoon as desired.
- Oh! You can enjoy the strained leaves to chew on or add to hot water and let steep to get every bit of goodness from them. ;).