Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
Elderberry and Apple Soup. I can't wait for spring to pick our elderberries and give this soup a try. Servings is a guess.
- 14 ounces black elderberries, fresh
- 3 ounces sugar
- 2 slices lemons, rind of
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 18 ounces water
- 2 medium apples
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 3⁄4 ounce cornflour (corn starch)
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- lemon juice
- Wash the elderberry bunches and strip off the berries.
- Bring to a boil in water with the sugar, 1 lemon rind and cinnamon stick.
- Simmer until cooked.
- Press the berries through a sieve.
- You will need 1 1/4 (750 ml) pints of juice so add water if needed.
- Peel, core and slice the apples.
- Add to elderberry juice along with the juice of 1 lemon and lemon rind and bring to a boil.
- Mix cornflour with 3 tablespoons of cold water and add to soup.
- Add sugar and lemon juice to taste.
- Serve hot or cold.
ok i used my elderberry jelly with this and it wass very nice .im glad there is some recipes for elderberries before i moved to ne .i didnt know about them ,they grow wild here made for zaar tour 6