3 hrs 20 mins
Easy and yummy. High in iron protein, and vitamins A, B, & C.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 16 large cabbage leaves (from a 2-3 lb head of cabbage)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 10 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 cups rice (washed, then cooked halfway with 3 tablespoons butter)
- 1 lb extra lean ground beef
- 1 lb pork sausage or 1 lb ground pork or 1 lb ground turkey
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon sweet basil
- 1Cover cabbage leaves with boiling water, let stand until leaves are limp (2-3 minutes); then drain.
- 2Fry onions in butter until translucent, then mix with garlic, rice, meat, egg, milk, and seasonings; mix well.
- 3In a large dutch oven, prepare zapraška (similar to roux) by melting shortening over medium heat.
- 4Add flour and cook, stirring constantly, until it reaches desired brownness (usually light brown or beige).
- 5Add a tablespoon of water and stir until smooth.
- 6Be very careful when making zapraška as it is very hot and can cause severe burns if it comes in contact with the skin, also avoid the steam that rises when you add the water.
- 7Add the tomato sauce, water, and sugar.
- 8Mix well and bring to a boil; allow to boil for several minutes.
- 9Place 2-3 tablespoons (depending on size of leaf) of meat mixture in center of each cabbage leaf; tuck in sides and roll to cover meat.
- 10Place, seam side down in pot with sauce.
- 11Cook, covered, over low heat for 2-3 hours.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holubky (Slovak Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (501 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 561.7
- Calories from Fat 198
- Total Fat 22.0 g
- Saturated Fat 7.7 g
- Cholesterol 106.0 mg
- Sodium 1576.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 62.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.4 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 28.0 g