Recipe by Millie L.
My wonderful Mother-in-law gave me A cookbook named Slovak-American Cook Book. It had several wonderful recipes in it and this is my modified version of one of those recipes. The whole Family loves it.
- 1 large head of cabbage
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄2 cup cooked rice
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1 lb ground pork
- 1 teaspoon italian seasoning
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 egg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 10 3⁄4 ounces campbell's tomato soup
- 16 ounces fresh sauerkraut
- 5 ounces V8 vegetable juice
- 14 1⁄2 ounces diced tomatoes
Directions See How It's Made
- Put a large pot of water on to boil.
- When it comes to a boil place cored cabbage in it to soften leaves.
- Grease a large casserole dish and spread the diced tomatoes on the bottom.
- Drain half of the sauerkraut and spread on top of tomatoes. Set aside.
- Mix together beef, pork, rice, egg, worsechester sauce, Italian seasoning and garlic salt.
- Peel off outer layers of cabbage when they are flexible. Cut out hard vein if needed.
- Lay leaves out flat put a 2 tablespoons of meat mixture on the stem side of the leaf.
- fold leaf over the meat and fold in sides of leaf. Then roll up to the end.
- Place that roll in the dish. Repeat until you have fill up all the leaf you can fit in the dish side by side.
- Pour the tomato soup on top of the rolls.
- Put the remaining drained sauerkraut on top of the rolls.
- Pour V-8 Juice over all.
- Cover with foil and bake for 90 minutes in a 350 degree oven.