Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Meat and rice rolled up in cabbage leaves. Easy and yummy. High in Iron and Vitamins A, B, & C. Goes great with pierogi.
- Cook rice for 5 minutes; then drain.
- Remove core from cabbage and place in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- Boil until large outer leaves get slightly limp and separate from head (10 minutes); then remove and de-vein (save 2 cups cabbage water for sauce).
- Mix together meat, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, partially cooked rice, garlic salt, and pepper.
- Place about 4 tablespoons rice mixture (or according to size of leaf) on each cabbage leaf, fold the ends in over the filling and roll up.
- Stack tightly in a large pot or dutch oven.
- Add water saved from boiling cabbage and pour remaining tomato sauce on top.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 hours (check occasionally to make sure the bottoms aren't scorching; turn heat down if they start to).
- Serve hot.