2 hrs 15 mins
Meat and rice rolled up in cabbage leaves. Easy and yummy. High in Iron and Vitamins A, B, & C. Goes great with pierogi.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Cook rice for 5 minutes; then drain.
- 2Remove core from cabbage and place in a large pot of boiling salted water.
- 3Boil until large outer leaves get slightly limp and separate from head (10 minutes); then remove and de-vein (save 2 cups cabbage water for sauce).
- 4Mix together meat, 1/2 cup tomato sauce, partially cooked rice, garlic salt, and pepper.
- 5Place about 4 tablespoons rice mixture (or according to size of leaf) on each cabbage leaf, fold the ends in over the filling and roll up.
- 6Stack tightly in a large pot or dutch oven.
- 7Add water saved from boiling cabbage and pour remaining tomato sauce on top.
- 8Cover and cook over medium heat for 2 hours (check occasionally to make sure the bottoms aren't scorching; turn heat down if they start to).
- 9Serve hot.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Holubky (Basic Slovak Stuffed Cabbage Rolls)
Serving Size: 1 (357 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 3
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 494.1
- Calories from Fat 122
- Total Fat 13.6 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 98.2 mg
- Sodium 889.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 56.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.9 g
- Sugars 10.8 g
- Protein 36.1 g