Recipe by FLUFFSTER
A delicious dish, this can be paired with just about anything, from a wild rice blend, lemon risotto with cilantro and parsley, or potatoes au gratin. Use your imagination. Recipe by Great American cookbook.
- 1 (5 -7 lb) roasting chickens
- 1 small orange, quartered
- 1 small onion, quartered
- 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 2 3⁄4 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine, melted, divided
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup loosely packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1⁄4 cup orange marmalade
- 1⁄2 teaspoon orange zest
- liquid red pepper seasoning, to taste
- 1 tablespoon flour
- orange section (optional)
- avocado, slices (optional)
- fresh cilantro stem (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Rinse chicken with cold water and drain well; pat dry with paper towels. Loosely stuff cavity of chicken with orange, onion, and cilantro sprigs.Preheat oven to 375*. Sprinkle bird inside and out with 2 1/2 teaspoons salt and pepper. Skewer roaster openings, truss wings underneath body and tie drumsticks together. Place breast side up on rack in shallow open roasting pan. Brush with 1 tablespoon butter; set aside.
- Combine orange juice, cilantro leaves, orange marmalade, remaining 3 tablespoons butter, remaining 1/4 teaspoons salt, orange peel and pepper seasoning in container of food processor or blender. Process until well blended and smooth; set aside 1 1/4 cups. Bake the roaster in preheated oven 2 hours, or about 20 minutes per pound, basting occasionally with remaining orange mixture, meat thermometer registers 185*F, leg moves freely or juices run clear when pierced with a fork. Let the roaster stand 20 minutes while completing sauce.
- Remove 1 tablespoon drippings from roasting pan to a small saucepan. Whisk in 1 tablespoon flour and cook over medium heat 3 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually whisk in reserved basting liquid, stirring constantly until thickened. (If mixture is too thick, add additional orange juice until desired consistency.) Garnish with orange, avocado and cilantro.
- Note: If skin begins to brown too much, cover brown areas with foil.