Recipe by startnover
My mom made pickles just like these when we were growing up. This recipe is from a dear friend but is identical. It might seem complicated but you'll never have a better sweet pickle for those leftover Thanksgiving turkey sandwiches.
- 1 cup pickling lime
- 1⁄2 quart water
- 4 quarts water
- 4 1⁄2 lbs cucumbers
- 4 cups white vinegar
- 2 cups water
- 6 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 teaspoon pickling salt
- pickling spices
Directions See How It's Made
- In an enamel or stainless steel pan shake together lime and 1/2 quart water. pour into pan. Add 4 quarts water. Scrub and slice cucumbers and add to pan. Soak overnight.
- Next day rinse till water isn't cloudy.
- Let cucumbers soak in cold water 1 hour. Rinse again.
- In big kettle add the other 5 ingredients.
- Let mixture come to a boil. Boil hard 15 minutes. Put into jars add 1/8 t alum to each quart. Process 10 minutes. You can also use the water bath method on these.