Prep 18 mins
Cook 20 mins
These are my mom's super moist dense bars full of applesauce, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and cloves topped with a lucious cream cheese frosting. These were a favorite of mine as a child and I still love em'! These are baked in a half sheet pan.
- 1 cup shortening
- 2 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 3 eggs, beaten well
- 3 3⁄4 cups applesauce (I use unsweetened)
- 4 1⁄2 cups flour
- 3 teaspoons cinnamon
- 3 teaspoons allspice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons nutmeg
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons cloves
- 2 1⁄4 teaspoons baking soda
- 3⁄4 cup butter, softened
- 12 ounces cream cheese, softened
- 1 1⁄2 lbs powdered sugar
- 3 teaspoons vanilla
- Cream shortening and sugar.
- Add rest of ingredients and mix well.
- Pour batter into a greased half sheet pan and bake at 375* for 20-30 min or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean. Allow to cool completely then frost.
- ***My mom always cut these into rectangle shaped bars about 1 1/2" by 3".***.
- Mix all ingredients together until smooth.
This was scrumptious! I think I screwed up, though: After I mixed the batter, it didn't look like enough for a half sheet pan, so I used a 13 x 9 pan. I baked for only 30 minutes and it was *almost* overdone, even though in this pan the batter was twice as thick as it would have been in the half sheet pan. Mine came out to about 1 1/2" high, so I guess it's more of a cake, but that's ok. Next time I'll try the sheet pan, but I don't think it will take 35-40 minutes. Thanks for posting...this is a really nice combo of spices and makes a really moist cake.