Recipe by hollywall
originally from L A Times cookbook, modified slightly by me, favorite of Silvana and Julia
- 3 onions, minced
- 14.79 ml oil or 14.79 ml brush pan with butter
- 453.59 g ground beef or 453.59 g leftover chopped beef or 453.59 g roasted lamb
- 118.29 ml bouillon (2 TB chicken buillon powder in 1/2 c water)
- 354.88 ml raisins
- 7.39 ml cumin seeds, crushed
- 7.39 ml dried oregano
- 20 pitted green olives, chopped
- fresh pepper
- 4 hard cooked hard-boiled eggs, chopped (some of yolks discarded)
- 1 beaten egg, mixed with
- 14.79 ml water, to glaze tops of empanadas
Directions See How It's Made
- cook onions in large pan til tender, but not browned.
- add beef and brown lightly, stirring to beak into small pieces.
- add raisins, cumin seeds, oregano, and olives with bouillon powder and water.
- cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- season to taste with freshly ground pepper (and salt if necessary).
- remove from heat and stir in chopped boiled eggs. cool.
- place one tablespoon filling in center of round pastry, fold over, and seal edges.
- ( i buy la saltenas para hornear) you can use pastry crust, bread dough, or won ton covers, cut into 4-5 inch circles.
- brush tops with 1 beaten egg mixed with 1 TB water.
- I bake on buttered foil on cookie sheet at 375 degrees, 20 minutes or til browned.