1 hr 20 mins
originally from L A Times cookbook, modified slightly by me, favorite of Silvana and Julia
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 3 onions, minced
- 1 tablespoon oil or 1 tablespoon brush pan with butter
- 1 lb ground beef or 1 lb leftover chopped beef or 1 lb roasted lamb
- 1/2 cup bouillon (2 TB chicken buillon powder in 1/2 c water)
- 1 1/2 cups raisins
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cumin seeds, crushed
- 1 1/2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 20 pitted green olives, chopped
- fresh pepper
- 4 hard cooked hard-boiled eggs, chopped (some of yolks discarded)
- 1 beaten egg, mixed with
- 1 tablespoon water, to glaze tops of empanadas
- 1cook onions in large pan til tender, but not browned.
- 2add beef and brown lightly, stirring to beak into small pieces.
- 3add raisins, cumin seeds, oregano, and olives with bouillon powder and water.
- 4cover and simmer 30 minutes.
- 5season to taste with freshly ground pepper (and salt if necessary).
- 6remove from heat and stir in chopped boiled eggs. cool.
- 7place one tablespoon filling in center of round pastry, fold over, and seal edges.
- 8( i buy la saltenas para hornear) you can use pastry crust, bread dough, or won ton covers, cut into 4-5 inch circles.
- 9brush tops with 1 beaten egg mixed with 1 TB water.
- 10I bake on buttered foil on cookie sheet at 375 degrees, 20 minutes or til browned.
Nutritional Facts for Holly's LATimes Empanadas
Serving Size: 1 (167 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 294.7
- Calories from Fat 132
- Total Fat 14.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.7 g
- Cholesterol 155.0 mg
- Sodium 225.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 26.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 18.2 g
- Protein 15.9 g